Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ow! The Car

We had an "ouch!" moment yesterday, when my beloved took the car in to find out WHY we had a horrible sound all the time, driving, stopping, starting - only not making that sound only when it was idling and not moving. Turns out the calipers had frozen in such a way that the rotor and disk were also destroyed. A bunch of money later, we are driving a car that isn't making sounds it shouldn't and we know our tires are good.

On a similar note, winter has finally put in it's first introductory notes with much colder temperatures - and we have no heat in our apartment. We tried turning it up to get some heat - though we will set it probably about 65 for the winter. We have tried to keep our heat temps down and our a/c temps up to save energy. I'll call tomorrow on about 3 different issues - the apartment, clarification on an account and returning a business call.

Life is full of uncertainties, and with the economy doing as it is, we are feeling even more of the financial struggle of most of the nation. Many struggle with how do we pay the bills? I've discovered that I may need to go back to the career that has been mine for 30+ years to my surprise, dismay and frustration. I have made a career of being a pastor; finally, filled with anger at the denial, betrayal and two-faced approach of some of those who claimed to be friends and supporters, I decided that I would do something that I could walk away at the end of the day. That I have done, but I can't make the money I did there, and I almost need to do so in order to make ends meet and life look better.

I'm learning that not even the church is immune to the influences of the culture at large - meaning that we have just been notified that while we have participated in the denomination's medical plan for nearly all of that 30+ years, if we leave the plan and reenter, we will need to provide proof of good health - from two people with asthma, hypertension, and other issues of health they have covered.

Life's lesson - evil and greed can make their power felt anywhere that the crack is left open for them. As much as you think you are immune, you ARE NOT!

So learn to live with compassion and grace, so it will be there for you when you need it. We found it in some surprising places over the years, and it helped us continue our efforts to help people discover the true meaning of Christian faith - that all are welcome before God if they come in humility and honesty to God - me, I'm just an intermediary that has no real power outside of what you allow me as I try to help you.

May the grace and peace of Jesus begin to live in unlikely places, through unlikely people so ALL people of all faiths can find a way to find the great path together!!

Peace!

No comments: